by Gregory Skeete
ABOUT THE BOOK: Book 2 of the Pilly the Pelican Book Series takes us on a fun, rhyming journey through the ‘Dairy Chain’ in twenty-eight marvellous illustrations that teach readers about the making of milk. Bert the Bull has come to Barbados from the Netherlands, and leads Pilly and young readers through this story of moo-oooving milk “from grass to glass”. Pilly visits the farm, the factory, the supermarket, the classroom and the playground with Bert’s cow family, Errol the Egret and other friends. Adults and children will enjoy learning about milk’s health benefits and other interesting dairy details in the “Milk Making Facts” section. This book perfectly combines agriculture, dairy science and engineering to deliver a fun and comprehensive children's story-book on one of the world’s most important foods – milk!
WHAT KIDS LEARN? The book has been designed to teach children about milk from a holistic perspective including the farm, the factory and the consumer.
• Where does milk come from?
• What happens at a Dairy Factory?
• What is the process for producing milk?
• What equipment is used to make milk?
• What and how much do cows eat?
• How much do cows weigh?
• What insects affect cows?
• How often do farmers milk cows?
• How is milk transported from place to place?
• How much milk do cows make each day?
• How long can milk last?
• What are the health benefits of drinking milk?
• What is the composition of milk?
• What is the Dairy Chain?
• What other products are made from milk?
• What types of micro-organisms exist in milk?
Additionally, the book features a comprehensive, teaching guide which covers more than fifteen (15) different facts about milk. This tool can be used by teachers and parents to further educate themselves and children about the benefits of milk and all aspects of the Dairy Chain.